Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Little things

Today is chemo day. As a result, at the moment I am not feeling very well. But in light of all that has taken place in Moore, Oklahoma, I shall try not to complain.

I read somewhere this morning, something that said...as I take my next breath, think about those that are taking their last.

That really struck a chord with me today. Still in disbelief that mom is truly gone. Sometimes when the phone rings, I wonder if it's her. Or I'll see something coming on TV that I just know she'd enjoy and I almost pick up the phone to call her.

She died March 08, 2013 and it still feels like it isn't real. How long does it take to adjust yourself to the loss. I don't know.

I was 6 years old when my father died, in 1969. He was only 36 years old when he passed away from complications due to having diabetes. It is so sad to me that I don't remember the man, half responsible for bringing me into this world. So young too..he had 4 children, a wife and seemingly his whole life ahead of him. 

I may not be a thrill seeker, in light of my disease. I may not be searching for the meaning of life. To mean, life is to be lived. And so I try to take each day as it comes.

I try to really appreciate the little things in life, for they are what's so important to me now.

2 comments:

Z said...

Beautifully put, Jamie, and so true. Hope the chemo went well and you're not too exhausted today.

jAMiE said...

Thank you, Z..i am very tired but otherwise i am well. I hope you are too.